Monday, December 7, 2009

The effectiveness of RSS Aggregator

The RSS Aggregators provide an instrument for users to view relevant information while eliminating unnecessary information. What I appreciated from this technology is its ability to provide me with the power to control what i read and what i don't. When looking at news websites or sports websites, I am usually overwhelmed with a lot of information that I would rather not hear about (For instance, hearing the tennis scores when all I want to do is look at the footy scores).

This technology could be useful in the classroom when students are tasked with gathering current information from news websites. A problem that can occur for students when they are tasked with research is that they already have a conditioned response to dislike research. Much like Watson's experiments with the child and the rat, when students think of researching for homework and assessments, they fear it. Being able to use this technology will mean that all the information will come to them, they will not have to look for it.

However, I have noticed that much of the literature that I have read has assumed that students already know how to work with these different technologies and applications, but that is not always the case. During a Learning Experience, I was quite shocked by how I, who only mastered this technology recently, had much more know-how about it then the students did. In order to compensate, I had students experiment with the technology and they enjoyed discovering on their own how to work it and be creative with it.

Mergel, B (May, 1998), Instructional Design and Learning Theory, Saskatchewan, http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/802papers/mergel/brenda.htm#The%20Basics%20of%20Behaviorism

No comments:

Post a Comment